Cleaning makeup brushes is an extremely important task to do and if you are not in the habit of keeping makeup brushes clean, then change this habit as dirty makeup brushes can transfer old makeup, germs, and bacteria to your skin every time you use them which will lead to skin infections, blemishes, acne and pimples. Makeup brushes can be a breeding ground for bacteria and transmit dirt and bacteria every time they come in contact with your skin. So, make it a point to clean your brushes regularly to get rid of buildup. For example, suppose if you use a makeup brush daily, then wash it at least once a week.
Advantages of keeping makeup brushes clean
- Cleaning makeup brushes regularly will prevent the makeup colors from getting mixed.
- It will also help soften the bristles.
- Your perfect makeup look depends upon perfect application. Applying makeup using clean brushes creates a flawless and beautiful face.
- Regular cleaning of brushes will keep them in great and ready-to-use shape.
How to clean makeup brushes?
- What you need to clean your makeup brushes is a daily use cleanser or shampoo and lukewarm water. Never ever use hot water as it may damage the bristles.
- To clean your makeup brushes, first run the bristles of the brushes under lukewarm water until old makeup get rinse out properly. Don’t let water go anywhere near the metal clasp of the handle else the glue that holds the bristles together will get wet and become ineffective and will lead to damaged brush. Bristles of the brush should be angled downward into the stream of water.
- Now fill half a bowl with lukewarm water and put some drops of shampoo in it and make it bubbly. Now dip in one makeup brush at a time into the mixture and gently swirl it across the bottom of the bowl. Do the same with all the brushes but again don’t let water touch the metal clasp. Gently massage the bristles with your fingers until all the makeup and dirt gets loosened up. After that, keep massaging the bristles under running water until it runs completely clear. Gently pat the bristles on a dry towel and remove water. If during the process of cleaning, the bristles of the brushes become crooked, then with the help of fingers, reshape them and straighten, spread, pull the bristles back into their original shape.
How to dry those cleaned brushes?
Simply set the brush down on a counter, with the bristle part hanging over the edge. Remember not to lay them on a towel. Never dry brushes in an upright position as water will get in contact with the metallic part and the glue that is holding the bristles together and will ruin the brush.
When the brushes are completely dry, fluff the bristles. Now your brushes are ready to use. Also, how you store your brushes is also important as it not only helps to keep your vanity look clean but also preserve their shape. If you buy a set of brushes, they come in a wrapped leather holder that will keep each from touching one another and is easy for travel.
When at home, place your brushes in a clear jar or vase filled with beads or stones to hold your brushes in an upright position. Then place each brush bristles facing up as not to bend or disturb their shape.
I hope you liked this post on keeping makeup brushes clean!
Much Love, Neha