You have decided to color your hair at home but is unsure how to proceed with it. Thousand of questions are popping into your mind regarding this decision as your hair color can make or break your look. Coloring hair at home is a little bit tricky but with some useful tips you can get a salon perfect hair color at home. Below are some important points you should keep in your mind to get that salon perfect hair at home:
TIPS TO REMEMBER WHEN COLORING HAIR AT HOME
1. Choose the right shade/dye : First and the most important step is choosing the correct shade. Before choosing a desired shade, first identify the color of your natural hair. Then decide which color you want to go for? And please never ever get fascinated by the model’s hair shown on the box. One important thing to keep in mind is not to lighten or darken your hair at home more than two shades away from your natural color.
2. Choose a hair color based on your requirement: What’s your objective? Do you want to cover grey hair, or want highlights or tone your hair? If you are trying to cover grays, pick something that is formulated to cover gray.
3. Use Ammonia free products: Always check the ingredients before buying a hair color. Ammonia is a strict no-no
4. But extra color dye: Buy hair color box depending on the length and thickness of your hair. If you have hair below chest, then it may require atleast three boxes to get full coverage.
5. Go to a salon for intense makeovers: If you want to go from black hair to blonde, please don’t do it at home and go a colorist for the same. This cannot be easily achieved at home. So, its best left to the salon person who knows how to color hair properly without damaging them. If you don’t want to regret your decision, don’t even try it at home unless you are a pro at it.
6. Multi dimensional color: Mixing two or more shades is actually the best way to get beautiful hair color. Multi dimensional colors actually trick the eyes into believing that your hair has more volume. It actually instills the illusion of heaviness and body in the hair and highlights the face. You can go for multi dimensional color if you are confident that you will be able to do it at home.I would suggest you to go to a salon for getting a multi shade on your hair.
7. Don’t skip the strand test: Always follow the directions provided by the manufacturer and never, I repeat never ever skip the strand test. I always say to start coloring at your grayest point typically the roots so that the formula stays on this part of the hair longest.
8. Avoid The Orange: If you are going for a shade darker than your original hair, then skip anything in the warm brown family. Simply steer clear of this color. When dying your hair darker, those tempting ammoniated colors will actually just develop brassy. And if you are going for a shade lighter than your original hair, choose an ashy shade. It will do anything but singe your hair and will actually balance out any brassy undertones that may pop up.
9. Use color treated shampoo and conditioner: specifically meant for color treated hair. Certain shampoos which have dandruff-fighting formulas can strip away hair color with sulfates and harsh chemicals. Use a shampoo specifically meant for color hair as they are more gentle on the hair. Apart from that, you should use a color-protecting styling spray and a UV Spray. Try to stay away from the sun or use a hat as harmful UV rays can fade the hair color. In order to keep the color from fading, use a shampoo and conditioner specifically designed for color-treated hair. Stay out of the sun or wear a hat.
10. Use Hair Mask: Hair gets a little damaged whenever you apply hair dye/color as permanent as well as semi-permanent dyes contain hydrogen peroxide which chemically changes the color of the hair pigment. So, make it a point to use hair mask once or twice a week to moisturize your dry hair and restore shine. The mask helps in repairing damaged hair and fortifying strands to prevent further breakage.
11 Avoid Pool: After you have got your hair colored, steer clear from pool water for atleast two weeks. This is because chlorine present in pool water strips away the hair cuticle and allows minerals in the water to get into the hair shaft and alter the color of your hair.
12. No Oiling: Make sure not to oil your hair for atleast two weeks after the coloring as the color takes some time to seep in and settle.
Thank you so much guys for stopping by and I hope you guys enjoyed reading it!